Hand And Wrist Pain
Impact Orthopaedics is a well known orthopedic hospital for diagnosis and treatment of orthopedic conditions.
What Is Hand And Wrist Pain?
The sense of discomfort in the wrist and any part of the hand, which may also hinder the patient from performing his normal daily activities, is called hand and / or wrist pain.
What Are The Symptoms Of Hand And Wrist Pain?
- Redness of the hand
- Deformity of the hand or fingers
- Inability to bend fingers
- Inability to make a fist
- Numbness in the fingers or hand
- Dull or sharp pain in the hand or wrist for a long period
- Sense of inflammation in the wrist
- Inability to perform normal range of motions by the wrist, palm and fingers
What Are The Conditions That Cause Hand And Wrist Pain?
The most common causes for pain in the hands and wrist are:
- Sprain and Strains: Due to overuse of the wrist
- Osteoarthritis: Caused by breaking down of the cartilage
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: An autoimmune disease
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Compression of the median nerve causing swelling
- Tendinitis: Irritation or inflammation of the tendons
- Bursitis: Inflammation of the liquid filled sacs in and around the wrist bones
- Tenosynovitis – Injury to the protective sheath of the tendons called synovium
- Acromegaly: A hormonal condition
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis: An arthritis found among children
- Rheumatic fever
- Ligament injuries
- Ganglion cysts: Accumulation of joints or tendon sheath fluids into pouches
How Can The Causes Hand And Wrist Pain Be Diagnosed?
A physical evaluation of the tendons, ligaments and specific joints of the hands and wrist are done by a skilled physician to check their functioning.
Any anomalies appearing in the tenderness, mobility, strength, appearance and stability of the hand and wrist will further ask for diagnosis through imaging tests.
The most common imaging tests performed for hands and wrists are through X-Rays, Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and Computerized Tomography (CT) scans,
Arthrogram and Arthroscopy are additional imaging tests pertaining to the wrist.
Blood tests might also be recommended for checking of anti bodies to determine infections or autoimmune disorders.
What Are The Treatments To Relieve Hand And Wrist Pain?
The reports obtained through diagnostic tests and evaluations enables the doctor to detect the cause of the pain and also suggest the best treatment option.
The early treatment methods for mild to severe pains are:
- Rest: To resolve the pain caused due to overuse
- Splints: Braces or splints are used to allow the hand to rest when the pain due to overuse is recurrent
- Ice application: Applying ice to an area of inflammation controls the swelling and pain
- Heat application: Running warm water over the hand or by wrapping a warm and moist compresses around the hand may release the pain
- Medications: Oral medications are sometimes sufficient to relieve hand and wrist pain
- Hand therapy: Performed by skilled therapists, who adopt different modalities to treat the pain
- Surgery: Performed in cases of emergencies due to fractures. The surgery may for the purpose of wrist fusion, wrist replacement, finger joint fusion, finger and thumb joint replacement and carpal tunnel release.